The following safety measures are in place for our National Convention:
- Downtown is patrolled by the DAP (Downtown Area Patrol) which consists of Louisville Metro Police Officers who specialize in the Downtown area, which has a large concentration of hotels, tourist attractions and the KY Int’l Convention Center (KICC). The DAP office is in KICC.
- Louisville Tourism works in advance with DAP, providing group information, schedule, and demographics to better help the Division Lieutenant schedule and add patrols when necessary.
- Downtown also has the Safety Ambassadors, working for Louisville Downtown Partnership (LDP), who are another layer of safety for our visitors. They primarily work in the central business district, which encompass the areas tourists are staying, eating, and visiting.
- For large groups walking to/from the convention center, especially “all at once”, we communicate this to both LMPD and LDP to ensure they are in the areas for the people moments and watching for traffic issues, etc. The Services Manager will ask clients for specific moment times, relating to their schedule. This information is communicated to LMPD and LDP approximately 30 days prior to the group’s arrival, which allows both agencies to schedule accordingly.
- Kentucky Venues, KICC and KY Exposition Center (KEC), have their own sworn police force which consists of retired LMPD commanders/officers who are onsite for meetings and have a great working relationship with LMPD and KY State Police (KSP) when needed.